The #BeClearOnCancer roadshow is at the Kirkgate Centre today and tomorrow. Read more
- Online services for patients
- GP services
- Urgent and emergency care
- Hospital services
- Continuing healthcare
- Special educational needs and disabilities
- Support agencies
- Patient support line
- Further information
NHS 111 is the number to call when you have an urgent health need. The 111 number is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call from a landline and mobile phone.
When you call 111, you will speak to highly trained advisors who are supported by health and care professionals. They will ask you a number of questions to assess your need so that they can either give you advice or direct you to the local service that can help you best. This could be an out-of-hours doctor, urgent care centre or late opening pharmacy. The team at NHS 111 will, where possible, book you an appointment or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to. If they think you need an ambulance, one will be sent just as quickly as if you had dialled 999.
When to call 111
You should call NHS 111 if you:
- urgently need medical help or advice but it is not a 999 emergency.
- are not sure if you need to go to A&E, let 111 help you decide
- don’t know who to call or you do not have a GP to call
- need health information or reassurance about what to do next.
When not to call 111
NHS 111 is not the right number to call if:
- it is an immediate, life threatening emergency. You should call 999.
- you have a less urgent health need. You will need to contact your GP or local pharmacist.
- a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your condition. You should continue to use this phone number.
For further information about NHS 111, click here.
NHS 111 BSL service
NHS 111 also provide a BSL service which is available from 8am to midnight every day. Using your computer and a webcam, you can make a call to a BSL interpreter. The interpreter telephones an NHS 111 adviser and relays your conversation with them.