Chance to try out some new activities (for free!) Read more
- Winter health
- Ramadan health
- Bradford's healthy hearts
- Self-care and prevention
- Mental health
- Summer health
- Women's health
- Maternal health
- Children's health
- Men's health
- Information about the Zika virus
The UK has the highest levels of obesity in Western Europe. One in four men are now classed as obese and nearly seven in 10 men are classed as being overweight. Some ethnic groups, such as the South Asian population, are also more likely to be overweight and obese.
Compared to a healthy weight man, an obese man is:
- five times more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes
- three times more likely to develop cancer of the colon
- more than two and a half times more likely to develop high blood pressure – a major risk factor for stroke and heart disease.
Obesity can reduce your life expectancy by an average of three to 10 years. It is estimated that in the UK, obesity is linked to every one death in 13 people.