When to call NHS 111, call 999 or use A&E

You should call NHS 111 if your child’s health is getting worse and you are worried or if your child has a fever that lasts longer than three days.

You should call 999 or take your child to A&E if your child:

  • is finding breathing hard work and they are sucking in their ribs and tummy
  • is struggling to complete a full sentence without stopping to take a breath
  • has a fit
  • develops a rash that does not disappear with pressure using the tumbler test (pressing a clear glass firmly against the skin and it does not fade)
  • appears drowsy
  • appears pale or even slightly blue in colour.

Services finder

Connect with us