This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are consenting to our use of cookies. For more information see our cookies policy.


Don’t let a dodgy tummy put a spoke in your Le Tour celebrations

Don’t let a dodgy tummy put a spoke in your Le Tour celebrations

It’s just days now until the cyclists take to their bikes and the famous Tour de France gets underway with the Yorkshire Grand Depart.

And as excitement mounts and cycle-related events are being organised throughout the district, GPs are offering the following advice: don’t let a dodgy tummy put a spoke in your celebrations.

Improperly cooked barbecued food can often be a cause of sickness and diarrhoea but although it’s unpleasant there are simple self care steps that can be taken to alleviate symptoms:

• Stay at home for 48 hours or until symptoms stop
• Get plenty of rest and drink lots of water
• Wash hands after going to the toilet and before eating
• Don’t share towels with family members
• Ask someone else to prepare family meals
• Avoid dairy products and fruit juices until symptoms stop
• Eat simple foods that are easy to digest
• Try a rehydrating solution, available from pharmacies

Dr Colin Renwick, Chair of NHS Airedale Wharfedale and Craven Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) said: “Self-care is the best answer in the majority of cases. It’s best that people do not go to see their GP unless advised by them, as stomach bugs can be highly contagious and there is no treatment that can be given.

“Instead, local pharmacies can advise on over-the-counter medicines, such as pain relief, which may help to ease symptoms. Stomach bugs usually clear up in a few days but making sure food is properly cooked if you are having a barbecue will ensure you don’t miss any of this exciting race.”

He added: “Sickness and diarrhoea can be more serious in older people or young children and babies and in this case it is advisable to call NHS 111 for advice. If symptoms get worse or someone has a long term condition or is pregnant, then they should also ring NHS 111 or seek advice from their GP.”

Share this page

Latest news...